Saturday, November 13, 2010

alone...so I post on survivor

One of my survivor buds posted this:
“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.”
I like the irony in that I post on survivor... cause every day is a struggle.

Tonight I had a great time posting about the week on Rob's Immunity Blog. Here some of my comments that I really liked.

To Rob's comment about Marty playing a really good game:
Really Rob ... Marty a strong player? You sound like him in his Ponderosa speeches, saying how his game was perfect! Get real! This guy thinks winning survivor is about knocking off anyone who doesn't follow him like a puppy dog or threatens his alpha male dominance in leadership. (like the women who beat Russell, Sash and Brenda knew how to play him) He never had a chance. He had two players on his side at the merge and 2 dead set against him from his tribe ... how dumb is that? And he couldn't stand not running things out in the open. How dumb is it to think Brenda and Sash would agree when you target their alliance? He is clueless about how other people are playing, and he assumes anyone not with him is stupid! I know you backed him in the beginning but he was a sinking ship for a long time ... he didn't have a shot with his strategy... Really now, I mean he calls Dan a strong player ... Give me a break! Take off your rose colored glasses please!
To Rob's comment about Brenda and Sash:
Swingers Rob? Maybe if you think of Brenda and Sash as the fulcrum in the game ... they listen to people and don't push their choice on anyone, so no one sees how they are controlling the game. Even now it seems that they bent to the majority as opposed to decided what was best for them and kept the power of other players weak and balanced .. It is a genius strategy. And you must appreciate that who ever looks more dominant isn't -- even Sash doesn't get that, though he knows he vulnerable. It's not unlikely that he doesn't make it to the final three (50/50) and that purple Kelly who professes having no strategy does .... Yes while it is true you must get to the final tribal to win, you don't win if you don't get the votes ... Brenda is brilliant not to pick who she ends up with ... that's the biggest mistake people make. Brenda connects with everyone and has made key moves to win their allegiance (saving Jane and telling her, helping NaOnka find the idol, sharing with Chase about Nay's idol, partnering closely with Sash) Swing votes (which was Marty's view) are people who are isolated, not connected to either side, and have no allegiance. Brenda and Sash have a foot in all the power connections as a participant, they are not on the outside of anything. 
To Rob about Chase making a really bad move:
Did Chase really make a bad move? I say no. As one of the strongest guys, he does not need a target on his back, and while Brenda may be annoyed at the moment, he isn't on her radar unless he rises up against her (hence her careful eye on the threesome he is a part of), Not being part of the men is the best move he made so far. Yes he is paranoid and that is a weakness, but not being out to get Jane and NaOnka was brilliant. Yeah he is a bit hungry, but Marty's full stomach didn't do him any good. 
To Rob about NaOnka:
Rob --- Nay in the final three ... that is entertainment! Hadn't considered that from my point of view as a viewer... it is a great idea! That would be a very funny night ... love the idea cause Jeff may think he has seen everything now ... but he hasn't. 
To Rob re rest:
Well Rob, 2 out of 5 -- not so good! But I do also agree about jane. She's a loner (a swing vote) and she hasn't thought about alliances to get her to the end. She is running out of steam and yes she is strong, but many of the youth are stronger ... By the way, I notice Dan is off your radar... he is surely hanging in the wind .... and those "dumb" boys don't have coattails. Kind of fun that he suffers and loses since he has a mean streak.
I love thinking about the players so I also wrote:
@Benry and Fabio fans -- it's dumb and dumber - a coin toss for who is who. Who thinks you win by playing "dumb" or thinking Marty is super smart and knows this game? You both saw how Sash played him ... didn't you realize that he still holds and idol, so to flush NaOnka's idol is bad for him? ... Of course not, they treat Sash and Brenda as though they are isolated and on their own and yet everyone tells them everything! How could they believe that a move that puts them and Marty in a stronger position to get to the end would be a good move for Sash & Brenda? When you are dumb and think you are so smart, you never realize that those who are also smart (actually smarter) have out thought you. Yes your logic makes sense in your universe ... but really who else lives there?
I read the comments first and they full of hate and nastiness against NaOnka. But I was holding off and decided instead to comment this was to a guy who wanted to see a match between NaOnka & Russell:
‎@Jack awe... thing is they could easily be an alliance. Russell only targets people who are against Russell or are getting too popular... the latter of which she would not qualify for. Besides he like using women and feels he dominates them. Russell would have targeted Kelly B as well .. but first he would have used her and lied to her. NaOnka on the other hand would see right through Russell, the same way she saw through Marty and gets Fabio's game. The only interesting question is how would she play it? ... interesting? Unclear. But given neither is attractive to champion, I could do without the match and never even wonder ... 
Then Tony commented politely about how NaOnka keeps the racism going but that he saw why they kept her in the game ... and I couldn't resist and wrote:
@Tony racists and those who think is reasonable behavior to comment with racial slurs just because they don't like NaOnka's mouth or behavior, keep the racism going. Also those who see her as black/nasty or nasty/black, contribute as well. Associating the color of her skin with her behavior and language which you find offensive is ignorant. 
Looking back at some using it who were dissing NaOnka I realized that it is just sloppy ... not intentional and without understanding the implication of tying her color to her behavior eg "ghetto trash". And I added in a following comment, because the common implication is that NaOnka is there cause she is easy to win against ... while true, there is a more pressing reason:
@Tony actually, the reason NaOnka is still there is that she is easy to read and a consistent ally. Chase said it quite simply as he cast his vote for Marty ... "I agree with you (Marty) about Nay but she's been my ally since the start." (something like that.) This is a game about winning a million dollars, not about keeping the nicest or most worthy people and handing them the money. This is survivor! (why keep Dan? At first, because Marty wanted allies he could dominate, now, because he is unimportant at this point in the game.)
I hit "Like" on a lot of comments I agree with, especially when they are written with humor. So having been sucked in a bit by the nastiness (sucked dry I mean) I tried to send a different message with this:
I too am not a NaOnka fan ... but "humanitarian" was priceless. gotta say, I enjoy her directness and willingness to say it as she sees it ... I am old enough to handle the F word. Besides, her stealing the food on a reactive whim and getting caught and then lying about it was too dumb not to enjoy ... and her not wanting it brought up again is funny too. Many of you need to chill ... she isn't going to win, besides you can change the channel if she offends you. Or you can pray for rain.
Someone commented to me about how Rupert stole during his season and was loved for it... and I answered:
‎@Tanea ... worse than that ... they love Russell who took stuff to make everyone uncomfortable, not to mention his attitude about women... "women" are supposed to be sweet and nice... and any deviation is looked down on... the best player ever, Brenda, is trashed because she is "cocky". She earns being cocky ... she is that good ... but when Marty arrogantly looks down on those who don't kiss his feet, people love it ... It's pathetically sexist... but then who cares cause Brenda is doing really well, and NaOnka and Jane are still there (while Marty is not) Oh Yeah ... and Russell did not ever win! Finally, I love Rob's blog, but he can't seem to shake his sexist bias either ... shame ... 
I also answered someone (tongue-in-cheek) who wanted Russell vs NaOnka:
@RIck re "Yeah, Russell against Na. Russell will bury her." I agree that he was much more offensive and nastier... (Isn't that what you meant?)
I was just having some fun with someone who sees things differently than I do. Funny thing is that people who are racist kind of don't like this .. not Rick but Anthony chimed in (along with other NaOnka haters:
It's sad to see the liberal perspective at work as usual not only allowing Naonka's actions, but justifying them as well. You say you love her "directness". but then want everyone to "chill" with their directness when they call her out for being what she is. I feel sorry for of of you sheep. 
It wears on me to hear all the attacks and anger against NaOnka, including wishing her ill, hoping she loses her job, etc... So I wrote this after thinking about it all the while:
People rarely look inward when they get angry and when they don't let they let that anger turn into hate. NaOnka is not evil, hate is. And you can see it clearly on these posts as decent people are wishing horrific things to befall another human -- vs humanitarian ;) .... and while I am on the subject, let's look at what really ticks you off ... NaOnka's trash talk and pushing Kelly B to get the clue ... I dislike the trash talk, but it is way better than the hateful language and wishes on this board ... her trash talk is posturing ... it's not her intention to harm Kelly B because she was handicapped. In fact, she saw Kelly B as a threat and equal competitor, and went after that clue the same way she would have had Fabio or Chase had it. She was more aggressive because Kelly B was not in her alliance. She only physically attacked Kelly B (actually just pushed her away) to get the clue which both she & Kelly B saw. We saw that same thing happen last season and no one cried foul about Amanda being attacked... why? because she wasn't handicapped ... So as much as I don't admire NaOnka's behavior, at least she didn't treat Kelly B as "special" because of her leg, the way you all wish she had and which is far more offensive, because Kelly B is too good an athlete and player to deserve being treated "special."
While I was writing this Anthony was complaining about someone encouraging tolerance. But I chose to answer someone who claimed NaOnka was incredibly different that other players: 
@Jaypee I'd spend hours with NaOnka over 5 minutes with Shannon who thankfully opened his mouth at the first tribal counsel and spared us any more air time with him. NaOnka may be more "in our face" than most, but Marty's attack on Jane was really nasty -- and she had immunity so it wasn't about the vote. Moreover, his distain of women and needing to dominate is harsh to watch. Remember Dan's nasty outburst at tribal -- that was even worse ... NaOnka is pretty funny at times... she would be funny more often if she toned down her language a notch or 2 or maybe 10. Her "trash talk" is extreme ... that and her reactive behavior will keep her from winning the million ... maybe she will learn from this ... Marty hasn't ...so probably not. Thing is, she picked on Fabio and Kelly B equally and without bias, a real compliment to Kelly B.
 I feel it is important to stand up for tolerance and to point out that lots of offensive things happen on the show... like I said I was sucked in/dry and so I commented to Anthony:
‎@anthony there is a difference between attacking using racial slurs and expressing disgust by NaOnka's language and behavior ... she happens to be black ... but if she was another color I would equally dislike her trash talk ... if encouraging kindness, decency, and humor is "liberal" than I am proud of it... I am no sheep .. sheep follow, they don't speak out. NaOnka's not a favorite of mine (understatement)... she is not playing smart (dumb to take the clue so blatantly and offensively, and dumber to steal the food and get caught and lie, even dumber to make the jury hate you.)
I agreed with Anthony actually but not with the nastiness to her ... directness is calling her rude, nastiness is calling her "ghetto trash." I suppose where we differed is that I could see humor in NaOnka's behavior, and he just didn't approve. I also answered Agnes who to me represented the decent people who really couldn't understand NaOnka and I said:
‎@agnes I do agree that her "trash talk" is over the top and offensive ... but doesn't come from hate ... it's "in your face" posturing ... and I would be the first to say there is a difference in the words you use. If she happened to have been in an alliance with Kelly B, she'd have told Kelly to take her leg and smack Fabio over the head with it ... Remember her comment was made to the camera ... and it was stupid, not hateful and I agree it was unnecessary.
The offensiveness of "trash talk" is that has meanness as its method. I don't agree with it or like it but it is not about hate and it is a good question as to whether Kelly B was offended, but given this is a game for a million dollars I thought this was worse:
@Agnes yeah ... agree ... that's what makes her trash talk offensive! Hard to know how Kelly feels...I'd be more frustrated that they ALL would have seen to it that I didn't make it to the end because of my leg being an "advantage" -- no one was going to give her a chance.
I also moved on and responded to Deb who felt like I did about Marty and whose comment was really funny. Deb wrote:
High five Agnes! Oh God ... PLEASE don't bring Marty back ... he's part of what made this season annoying! And can I just say ... WHAT THE HELL are they keeping Dan for ... he's a leach and brings NO VALUE what so ever.
and I wrote:
@Deb it was probably a choice between Marty and Dan and Dan's useless, Marty was starting to become a threat -- nipped it at the bud (like why they chose Jane over Marty) -- think of Dan's continuing time there as unnecessary suffering (well-deserved) cause he is not going to win! 
I was having fun with people interested in survivor. And I was posting a lot. And as I was writing to Deb, these two comments were directed at me.

First Anthony responded:
Leslie, you must forgive me for only reading and answering the first five lines of you comment. Your posts are way to long and I doubt if anyone reads them in their entirety. Just goes to show how full of yourself you are when you write that much, and to think that anyone would be that intersted to read what you have to say. 
I can see by you profile pic that you are a couple of generations older then me, so I'm hear to say that my generation will fix all of the problems that your generation left for us. Political correctness? Out the door. White Guilt? Over with. 
The fact of the matter is white people can't say anything negative about Naonka because it with be twisted as racist. 
and then Kathy commented:
@Anthony, I'm on your team and agree with everything you say..@Leslie, sounds like you need to take over Robs Blog and call it Leslies Blog. Not to sound condesending, but your comment on other peoples post is really getting on my nerves! Really, is this what you do with your time? You're on EVERY Fb Survivor page.
The irony of Anthony's comment being as long as mine was so tempting to respond to ... but I didn't. Wanted to but didn't. I let him have the last word.

I thought about Kathy's comment. How it made me feel. It was a personal attack. It was meant to shut me up. That she noticed my comments was a compliment but that she felt I shouldn't be free to make them and that it was a negative thing that I was so involved and having such fun was intense. I thought, probably you would add fat and ugly if I was in the room. And if she knew how much I live through the moments of being connected through the comments, she probably would feel vindicated. Thing is, why is it her business how I chose to spend my time. Funny thing is everyone stopped commenting for a while after her comment. I waited an hour to be sure not to react and then I wrote this:
‎@Kathy ... umm I understand ... sometimes I half read posts.
I thought, why was she reading my comments ... since they obviously "noticed" by her. Why is she trying to interrupt my fun. I wasn't attacking anyone ... I was engaging people whose comments I liked or made me think. And on purpose I continued to comment to people.

First to David who made me laugh:
‎@David "Russell = diplomat" ... that's really funny. Only wish people could separate NaOnka's behavior from the color of her skin. To me Russell was worse ... probably cause I am female ... truth is at some point really bad and worse are hard to distinguish.
And about an hour later I watching very few new comments I wrote this:
Anyone notice Sash's award-winning acting? He spent all day with those guys and none saw through him. Even Marty, after being voted off, was clueless... (Why else is the last vote unrevealed? Duh!) So kudos to Sash ... his social game rocks!
My mind wanders and I know thought about bullying again ... Kathy's comment brought me back to how my family attacks me. I make my stand against Kathy's attack by commenting. Though when you think about it, she compared me to Rob, I didn't (which is saying a lot) and she reads my comments and has never complained, in fact she "Like"d some. Clearly, today I hit a nerve.

Sergio wrote a great comment which I liked and he friended me, the 3rd person to do so because of my comments, which was a real compliment after Kathy.

I realized after some thought, that Anthony seemed to miss my point. He also is really intolerant of those who are not offended by NaOnka as a gameplay strategy, as though that meant her behavior is likable. Sometimes I think people talk sidewards to each other. So after writing the other comments and weighing the situation i wrote this:
@Anthony Sometimes I think people talk sidewards to each other, seeing differences, missing similarities or vice versa. I think you misunderstood me and that I was at fault by how I organized my thought. I apologize for this. I know we don't fully agree with each other, and though neither of us are NaOnka fans, some of her antics amuse me. It's a game after all.
Yes, tonight was a better night because I was involved on the survivor boards. That makes me pathetic, more accurately, it shows how pathetic I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

United States
speaking to a universe without ears