Tuesday, October 12, 2010

documenting your life on twitter or facebook

People are strange. Ok I know how ironic it is that I say that. Still, it is odd to me what a majority of people journal about. Some highlight the places they go outside their routine day. I understand that. But it makes you wonder how they feel about their lives ... the daily part. Others tell you details like go shopping for food ... I remember one guy who documented everything ... brushing his teeth, eating breakfast etc ... makes you wonder if that is done to substantiate the importance of their existence (which means they secretly doubt it -- or why the need to substantiate it). What you get is nothing or very little of who they are and what matters to them. Others put up fun stuff which is cool or connect about interesting research or stuff. That is connected involvement that seems healthy. I enjoy posting on Survivor's blog. Most people use it to bitch and degrade the players (what a waste). I like discussing the strategic play, the humorous or strange behavior and I like to do it with polite clever language. There is a lot of rude nasty mean ranting and complaining that mirrors some of the behavior being complained about. I love the commentator blog ... it is witty, polite, clever, honest ... he never attacks players even those with the worst behavior (rude, mean, and bigoted), while he cleverly comments on it.

When I think of my day ... say the day I went shopping, what I remember is the gentleman at the local store who opened the door for me, to which I said thank you and then the clerk who let me clean my glasses with windex and paper towel. I remember appreciating these people and letting them know how nice they were. At Walmart I remember the customer who helped me get the diet cranberry juice off the top shelf and my chatting with him and his girlfriend telling them how wonderful he was to stop and help me and how I preferred not drink sugar. And I remember one clerk who helped me twice, and how the second time she pointed out that she was the same person who helped me find something else. I went into a long thank you, explaining how I am unable to recognize faces, but how extraordinary her help had been before and now and how delightful it was to shop there (no idea what she helped me with ... oh year candles, trash bags and earlier dog shampoo). She smiled after that and I could see that I made a good impact. And then guy clerk who helped me find rags and the thermostat I need for my heater. We spent a long time debating which one and he was a total sweetheart , just the nicest human being you could imagine. He was talkative and I can imagine others being annoyed, but I just saw him as a quirky, delightfully kind and helpful human being. Just seeing who he was makes me smile.

To me, living well includes verbally appreciating and acknowledging people who serve you, regardless of how nice or pleasant they are.

Other aspects of my day revolve around princess ... interacting with her, trying to meet her needs and make her days happy and letting her know what a dog she is and how much I love her and my guilt that I don't care for her as well as she should be cared for. I am so incredibly pleased she loves her new mat.

That's what is interesting and valuable about my day ... along with interesting insights stories of humor or political stuff and humor from TV or the internet, and sometimes what my children post. I love things that make me laugh. That's what makes up the substance. I suppose if I saw some beautiful scenery ... like the stream when it is full and rushes over the rocks, or if I listened to music and the tune or lyrics moved me or were funny, I would include that too.

Funny how one thing turns into so much more when I consider and reflect on my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

United States
speaking to a universe without ears