Sunday, September 19, 2010

War ...

I have spent a great  deal of time over the past few days (or weeks possibly?), honing and fine tuning Vengeance Is Mine and Profoundly Flagrant among a few other poems.

I cannot understand the blatant contradictions of people. I cannot understand how we advocate for the freedom of Iraqi and Afghanistan people (many are muslims, by the way) and yet would, in our country, deny them the right to build a Mosque, to express their non-violent religion freely.

I understand that some people are bigoted and my frustration is not with those people, who are clear and consistent in their point of view. My frustration is with those who cannot see the blatant contradiction of advocating religious freedom and picketing against people building Mosques in our country. It's nutty to think that the Mosque or Center that is proposed could promote or support terrorism.

I can understand not building on the site of where the world trade centers were toppled. But a few blocks away are "normal" businesses, including strip clubs, including churches. This wide coverage of the spectrum of possible occupants, is what it means to be free and live in America.

I really don't understand the news agencies that skew the issue and blatantly misrepresent the site of the proposed Muslim Center. It was formally, "The Burlington Coat Center" not the place terrorists attacked and successfully razed.

We blur truth into TRUTHs (absolutes). Yes, I agree that the practice of stoning women for adultery is barbaric and unacceptable. (By the way, I think it is barbaric for any reason, even for serial killers. Just saying.) What I don't understand is our unwillingness to prevent the rape and marriage of underage girls, a known practice by some christian people in America. I am not against plural marriage. (Not my cup of tea, though.) I think marriage ought to be between consulting adults. How is that a difficult concept? We allow underaged girls to be forced into marriage, which by our laws is rape, and we do nothing. If we knowingly will not protect our children, what does that say about who we are?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

United States
speaking to a universe without ears